Alaska Payroll Instructions

Payroll Links

Goldenseal Payroll Software Info

US Federal Withholding Info

Free 2021 Payroll Tax Table Updates

Other Links

New & Used Swiss Army Knives

Alaska has no state income tax, but you'll still need to withhold federal taxes, and pay the Alaska state unemployment tax (SUTA) and federal unemployment (FUTA). Alaska also requires that employers maintain worker's compensation insurance for their employees, but that is usually handled as a separate insurance policy rather than as a payroll tax item.

Because of dwindling oil production, Alaska is considering additional taxes. Unfortunately, it may soon need to leave the ranks of income-tax-free states!

HINT-- We provides free updates for Alaska and federal payroll tax tables in our payroll software. Click here to download the latest version of the Alaska tax tables for Goldenseal.

Alaska State Withholding Tax

There is currently no state income tax in Alaska, so there is also no state payroll withholding. You'll still need to set up for federal withholding-- follow these steps:

  1. Choose Employees from the Accounts menu.
  2. Locate the employee record.
  3. Click the Payroll Setup button.
  4. Enter the employee's marital status into the Marital Status field.
  5. Enter the number of federal dependents into the Federal Exemptions field.
  6. Enter the Alaska Tax Package into the Tax Package field. HINT-- If you don't see it in the list, you'll need to import the tax info first.
  7. Click OK.

Alaska State Unemployment Tax Instructions

In 2021 the Alaska unemployment tax applies to the first $43,600 of each employee's annual wages (increased from $41,500 last year). The 2021 standard rate is 2.57%, adjusted for business type. The rate is adjusted for experience after the first year.

There is also an employee withholding of 1/2% for unemployment coverage, on wages up to the $43,600 cutoff.

To enter your Alaska SUTA tax rate into the Goldenseal construction payroll software, follow these steps:

  1. Choose Payroll Setup from the Costs menu, and choose Tax Items from the submenu.
  2. You'll see a list of Tax Items. Locate your state's SUTA tax in the list, and double-click on it. HINT: If you don't see SUTA listed, you'll need to import your state's payroll info.
  3. Enter the percent that you pay into the percentage field to the right of Calculation method.
  4. If the cutoff amount has changed, enter it into the dollar field to the right of First Adjustment.

Alaska Tax Contacts


Alaska Department of Revenue
Pouch SA, PO Box 110420 Juneau AK 99811-0400
907 465-2320

Alaska Department of Labor, Employment Security Division (SUTA)
PO Box 25509
Juneau, AK 99802
800 448-3527, 907 465-2787 or 907 465-2700

Official State Lawn Ornament

Sleeping moose.