I use Goldenseal for estimates that are mostly subcontractor
If you are a general
contractor that subcontracts most
or all of your contract work, your project estimates will
consist almost entirely of Bids.
Setup for Subcontractor Bids
When you put together an Estimate,
start by creating bids for each work area. To do that in
Goldenseal estimating software, follow these steps:
- Choose Bids from the Income menu.
- Click the New button.
- To start with a 'ballpark' price,
turn on the Rough Estimate checkbox. Otherwise skip
to step 6.
- To itemize costs for the work, click in the Breakdown popup
field and choose Items. Then enter detailed unit
costs for this bid. You can also just type in a rough
- Click the New button to enter an actual subcontractor quote.
- Enter a subcontractor into the Account field.
- Enter their current price into the Amount field. If you
haven't received a quote yet, leave it at zero.
- Repeat steps 5 to 7 for each subcontractor
or material supplier who will be bidding on the
Creating a Master Estimate
Now you can put the bids into a master Estimate that
you'll give to your client. To do that, follow these steps:
- Choose Estimates from
the Income menu.
- Click the New button.
- Check the Breakdown popup field on the left side of the
window. If it's not already Items, change it to that.
- Click in the first row of the breakdown table.
- Enter Bid into the Cost Area column.
- Click in the Cost Item column, and enter a bid.
- Hit the Enter key (Windows) or the Return key (Mac) to add a new
- Repeat steps 5 to 7 until you have entered all of the bids.
- Also enter line items for project management
costs, overhead, profit, and any work that you are
doing with your own employees.
HINT-- You can use the Assembly Labor and
Assembly Materials options if you provide part of the work yourself,
and subcontract the rest.
As you receive subcontractor prices, enter them into
the Bid records. Goldenseal will automatically update
the master estimate for the entire project.
NOTE-- When you have a Rough Estimate price, Goldenseal
will use that at first. As soon as you receive bids
from subcontractors, Goldenseal will start using
the lowest subcontractor bid instead.
You can use the Status field in each Bid record to
track the progress of collecting prices from each
supplier or subcontractor. If you have a formal bid
collection process, you might also want to use the
Document Log to record your
transmittals and communications on the project.
Click here to return to estimating
| Previous | Next | Getting Started Manual | Reference
Manual | Site Map | Website