retired the MacNail estimating program in 2000, and replaced
it with Goldenseal construction estimating
software. There are still a significant number of die-hard MacNail
users, so we keep the manuals online for them! Goldenseal
is an integrated program that also includes accounting,
scheduling and contract writing.
Goldenseal uses popup lists for materials and assemblies,
so you don't need to remember any codes.
Converting Estimate Material Codes
To change material codes, follow these steps:
1. Open the Price Sheet you'd
like to change, and make sure it is the active document (in front).
2. Choose Code Systems from the Data menu.
3. You'll be shown a dialog box asking you to assign a material code system. If the current material code for
the file is already defined as 'MacNail', skip to step 5. Otherwise, choose MacNail from the list, then
4. Repeat steps 2 and 3.
5. Click the New button.
6. Type in a name for the new material code system, then click OK.
7. The new material code will be added to the Material Code Master. Fill in the new material code that will
match each existing material code number in the table. If you have added any new material codes to any MacNail
files, enter them into the table under the MacNail column, and make sure they also get a matching material code in
8. When all material codes are entered, bring the file used in step 1 to the front again.
9. Choose Code Systems from the Data menu.
Other Utilities Page 157
10. You'll be shown a dialog box asking you to assign a material code system. If the current material
code for the file is already defined as 'MacNail', skip to step 12. Otherwise, choose MacNail
from the list, then click OK.
11. Repeat steps 9 and 10.
12. All of the material codes in the file will be converted to the new material code system. When the process
is finished, check to make sure it was successful, then save the file.
13. Open the Comparisons sheet that matches the Price Sheet you just changed. Repeat steps 9-12. Do the same
for the matching Assemblies file.
It should now be much easier to copy and paste material prices from supplier 'downloads' to
the MacNail construction management